What is a Turkey Mouth Call?
A turkey mouth call is a device used to imitate the sounds of a wild turkey. The calls are typically made of wood, plastic, or aluminum, and are often referred to as diaphragms, slate calls, box calls, or pot calls. They work by vibrating the air inside the call, producing a sound that resembles the call of a wild turkey. The calls come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, and are designed to be used with the user’s mouth to create realistic turkey sounds.
Why Would You Want to Use a Turkey Mouth Call?
Turkey hunting is an incredibly popular sport in the United States and throughout the world. Turkey hunting requires the hunter to be able to accurately imitate the sounds of a wild turkey in order to successfully attract a bird. The most efficient way to do this is to use a turkey mouth call. The realistic, authentic sound that a turkey mouth call can produce makes it an invaluable tool for any turkey hunter, as it can help to attract a turkey to the hunter’s location.
How to Choose a Turkey Mouth Call
When choosing a turkey mouth call, there are a few factors that should be considered. First, the material of the call is important. Calls made of wood, plastic, or aluminum all have different sounds and characteristics. Additionally, the size and shape of the call should be considered. Different sizes and shapes of calls can produce different sounds. It is important to choose a call that best suits the hunter’s individual needs and preferences.
How to Use a Turkey Mouth Call
Once you have chosen the right call for you, it is time to start using it! The most important thing to remember is to practice, practice, practice! The more you practice using the call, the better you will become at producing realistic turkey sounds. To begin, place the call in your mouth with the reed side facing up. Then, use your tongue to vibrate the reed, producing the sound of a wild turkey. Different techniques can be used to produce different sounds, such as yelps, clucks, cackles, and purrs. Once you have mastered the basics, you can begin to experiment with more advanced techniques.
Tips for Using a Turkey Mouth Call
Here are some tips for using a turkey mouth call:
- Make sure the call fits comfortably in your mouth. If it is too big or too small, it can be difficult to produce realistic sounds.
- Practice in front of a mirror to make sure you are producing the correct sound.
- Start with simple techniques and work your way up to more complex sounds.
- Listen to recordings of wild turkeys to get an idea of the types of sounds you should be trying to imitate.
- Pay attention to the environment. Different types of sounds may be more appropriate in different situations.
Common Mistakes When Using a Turkey Mouth Call
Here are some common mistakes that novice turkey hunters make when using a turkey mouth call:
- Using too much air when vibrating the reed. This can produce a sound that is too loud and unnatural.
- Not using enough air. This can produce a sound that is too quiet and hard to hear.
- Not listening to the environment. Different types of sounds may be more appropriate in different situations.
- Not practicing enough. It takes time and practice to become proficient at using a turkey mouth call.
- Using too many complex sounds. Start with simple techniques and work your way up to more complex sounds.
How to Care for a Turkey Mouth Call
Caring for a turkey mouth call is an important part of maintaining its effectiveness. Here are some tips for caring for a turkey mouth call:
- Store the call in a dry, cool place when not in use.
- Clean the call after each use. This can be done by washing it in warm, soapy water and drying it with a soft cloth.
- Periodically inspect the call for signs of wear and tear or damage.
- Replace the call if it is damaged or worn out.
Using a turkey mouth call is a great way to attract wild turkeys to your location. It is important to choose the right call and practice using it, in order to produce realistic, authentic sounds. Additionally, it is important to take proper care of the call in order to maintain its effectiveness. With the right call and the right technique, you can become an expert turkey caller in no time!